Monday, August 31, 2009

Plans

  • With school starting up once again, there always comes more lists. Have to do this, this, and this, pick up this, drop this off, go here. The daily planning has begun. This morning I woke up with another fully planned day in front of me. All the work needing to get done blazing at the front of my mind. Some anxiety may have been present.
  • Then, I read today's devotional in the book I started this summer. "Your natural preference is to plan out your day, knowing what will happen when. My preference is for you to depend on Me continually, trusting Me to guide you and strengthen you as needed. This is how you grow strong in your weakness."
  • And then, the craziest thing happened. I read it again. And then, I followed it. I absorbed these words. And the scripture that ties it in: Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. James 4:13-15 Now listen you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money," Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." (To say "Lord willing" takes me back to days with my Grandma, everytime I left, I would say, "see ya on Sunday" and she always replied, "Lord Willing") So, before I attacked my to-do list, I stopped, I prayed. I prayed that God show me what needs to be done, and that those may go well. And that I not worry over every thing else waiting for me. And you know what? Today went so smoothly that I had extra time in it! I don't know if I did everything on my original list. But I know I accomplished what needed to be accomplished, mostly starting the day off with my devotions and prayer.
  • I will just say that bed time- one little hiccup in my planned out day: I felt Maicy needed to be in bed asleep early. She felt the need to discuss with me the thickness of her watermelon slice at lunch. I believe that she makes God smile daily -- me too!

No comments: