Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The End

This is a repost. Today marks one year since my Grandma passed away. Some days I still think that I am going to give her a quick call or stop in for some of her famous St Nick cookies. And then I remember that she's already Home. I miss her here on earth terribly, yet I rejoice in the life that I can't even begine to imagine that she has lived in Heaven this past year. Love you, Grandma Pearl!

You know when you are reading a really good book... and you near the end of it with just a few pages left... and you don't want to finish it? You don't want the book to end despite knowing its going to be great. You just don't want to be not reading that book so you try to draw it out longer?

Maybe that's just me.

This week my Grandma's story was completed.

I knew it was coming and I knew it had to end, but there is still that overwhelming feeling of sadness that it is actually over.
It was a great story, my Grandma's. I've written bits of her story many times in my life. The whole thing is just too much for one book. It's not a story of great riches or thrilling adventures in far away places. It's not a story that boasts of one's life. That's not what made her story great.

Her story was great because it was written by God and it was for God. And she knew it.

There was poverty, death, deceit, and hurt. But there was always HOPE. My Grandma's hope was in the Lord and no matter what was thrown her way, she was steadfast in that faith. If she was going to tell you a story that was about hurts and hardships, it was to prove that God was there with her. When her family didn't know where their next meal would come from, God provided. When her husband passed away unexpectedly on their 25 wedding anniversary, God was there. And that is what she wanted to make sure you knew by the time the story was over. God. Was. There. Always.

Hers is also a story of JOY. She would do just about anything for anyone. She made everyone feel as though they were her favorite. She had a cheerful heart, welcoming people into her home. Sharing baked goodies. Sharing a good story. She loved to help out, that gave her and those around her great joy.
Maicy and Grandma Pearl, Thanksgiving 2009


Jackson and Grandma Pearl, Thanksgiving 2009
 God made her story great. Her story was written for God.
And as I write, I know the truth.
This earthly story is just a prologue. Her real story is just beginning.

I love you Grandma. You will be greatly missed, but the stories which you have woven into my heart and the memories will be with me.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


Linking up with Michelle De Rusha at Graceful and  Jen and the beautiful gals of Soli De Gloria

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Pearl will always hold a very special place in my heart. There is no woman out there like her! I love her soo much!
Praying for you Alicia.

Holly

Jensamom23 said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Alicia. What a gift she gave you with all the memories and faith...she will remain a part of you always.

Ashli said...

What a wonderful legacy to leave to her children and grands! I love that faith has been stitched into the very fabric of your being through the influences of your wonderful Grandma!

I, too, am blessed to have a "Granny" who is devoted to God and family.

I am convince her unrelenting prayers have kept me from harm and hopelessness on many occassions.
Will be praying for your family as you deal with her earthly loss, but rejoice with you for her heavenly gains! I bet they are celebrating their anniversary super style up there!

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing her story. Great picture. Hugs to you!

Bina said...

A beautiful tribute...and I know that she is missed, but I praise Him for the impact she made on both your heart and your life for Him.

...am loving how He is really using "story" to show you Himself!

I love you...