Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Humble

There used to be a barn along Highway 60 that sat close to the road. It was old. Falling down. Not safe. Not pretty. I remember coming around the bend and seeing the side of the barn and could tell the owners had put Christmas lights on it. Being the good frugal Dutch girl that I am, I remember thinking "What a waste to put Christmas lights on that old, falling down barn!" And then as I came farther around that bend I could start to see the front of that barn was quite decorated... and then... I could see inside....
While it was just a cheap plastic nativity scene inside, it was enough to make me stop and go "Oh. Sorry." Instantly I was humbled when I put together this falling down shack with the reminder of our Mighty Savior's humble entrance into this world. His parents were grateful for the shack, and the star of David shone like Christmas lights to point out this humble abode.
The old barn isn't there anymore. They doubled the road width and the barn was taken down. I miss it whenever I approach that curve. It was a gentle reminder when I needed it most.
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 1But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 1Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Chris the Lord.This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest! and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." Luke 2:8-14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story! Such a good reminder to us all!