Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Early Poppers

If you were where I was this weekend, you know I am totally about to rip off Dr Lew. If you weren't there, well then, just disregard that first statement. This is totally me! Okay, not true. I was at the Peel's Hair Show this past weekend in Council Bluffs, IA and had the awesome pleasure of once again listening to Dr. Lew. I have heard him once before, and couldn't have been more thrilled when I heard he was going to be back at the show this year! To give you a background- he is a psychologist who is now a public speaker/encourager for salon professionals. (doesn't salon professionals sound so, well, professional?!) Moving on, if you need a visual, picture Larry Appleton from Perfect Strangers, you know, the show with Balki? That's who he reminds me of, but older, and a little less hair on top. I don't know his religious convictions, but I believe that he is a believer. While I know he needs to remain vague, you can't help but as a believer, see God in what he says. So, today I am going to share with you my favorite points from Dr Lew. (he had 2 hours to talk, I'll try to keep this post under 1 1/2 hours!)I am just going to do a bullet list of my favorite points to make it easier:

  • Early Poppers- What does that first kernel of popcorn know that the rest of them don't? I think this just speaks tremendously of faith. Some of us, jump right in anxious to see what God has in store for us. Others, we want to wait and see what happens to everyone else before we just go ahead and pop, and then, the rest, hang on until that very last moment and beg God to help us and give Him complete control over our lives.

  • How can we be alive and be unhappy? Just the fact that you are alive, offers HOPE!
  • Whatever I blame in this life, I give my power away to. But seriously, it wasn't my fault, it was so and so's fault. They got in my way, they made me mad, the traffic was there just to make my day worse. By continuing that inner dialogue, we give our power away to whatever it is that we think is the problem.
  • What is, IS. That's it. It just is. We can say, "there should have been no traffic" "we should have bought that house instead" "I should have been with that person" There are no "Should haves" because it is, you can't change that it is. Or was. My favorite line from Dr Lew is " You can should all over the place, but it doesn't change what is!" (say it out loud now. Yeah, that's what it's supposed to sound like)
  • Remember when you look at your spouse, that there was a time you would have done anything to get/keep him/her. I love that. I think I need to put that on my bathroom mirror!
  • Today is the most important day of my life! It is the only one I can shape now!

I hope you enjoyed a glimpse into the motivation offered up by Dr. Lew. He is one of those few people who can make you laugh and cry all at the same time.

Sorry, it took me so long to get back at it. I think there are 2 or 3 of you who I have inconvenienced by not writing anything. ;)

God is Good, All the Time!

2 comments:

Bina said...

Ok first all...I really, really missed you! :)

Second, I love that Revalation Song played when the page loaded...made me smile.

Third, I love the point "Remember when you look at your spouse, that there was a time you would have done anything to get/keep him." too. I love my hubby with all my heart...but I can take him for granted and it kills me when I realize that THAT is what I have done to him.

I love your heart and your willingness to share it! You are beautiful!
Much love,
Skittle-Less Bina

alicia said...

Thanks so much, Bina! Your words always encourage me!
Revelation Song- has been up since the Crazy Love post- I am just saying-it may have been on mine first! ;)
I'll go to the store first thing tomorrow and get the skittles, I promise!
Your Blogdie,
Alicia