Monday, March 1, 2010

The Climb

We start our journey in the wash. Its dry, dusty and for the most part, flat. We can see the hills around us, but we are on the safe path. The view in this desert bottom is pretty, I snap pictures of the shrubs that are there. The guys are in front of us and we eat their dust. My kids are with them, which comforts me, assuming they won't do anything stupid with my babies on board.


I should have known better. A few moments later, this is where we find ourselves. Not moving. Actually we are. We are sliding backwards. If you know me, you know that I am not a thrill seeker. You know that at this moment my heart is pounding, I feel sick, and I want off of this ride. I am not having fun anymore. Why didn't we stay in the safety of the wash?!

Our "heroes" ha! Came to our rescue as they realized we really meant it that we were stuck. Tell me, is this the angle you enjoy living? Somehow, they got it up the hill and I thought, "good thing that's over with, lets go back down now." That's when they laughed and said "this was just a baby hill! It's nothing!" It didn't take me long to realize that I was not getting my way on this one.






And I have to admit, I am pretty glad that they didn't listen to me. Without that uncomfortable moment, I would have missed these amazing views. The saguaro scattered throughout the hills, the palo verde perfectly placed where their Creator them.

The new trail was there, blazed clearly in front of us with breathtaking views all around. Prickly pears, saguaro, and jumping cholla greeted us around every corner. A few ruts in the road yes, but amazing beauty everywhere. And of course, as we are cruising along in this majestic place I had to see the connection. We have safety in the wash or valleys. We experience painful and terrifying climbs to the top. But when we reach the top, the glory that surrounds us is awe inspiring.

And how could I deprive these faces of that?
Are you living safely in the wash? Or are you allowing Him to lead you to a place more amazing than you could imagine? Don't worry, He'll help you when you get stuck.


3 comments:

Diane said...

Sometimes we do have to go through the hard times to get to the good stuff. :O)

Janean said...

i decided to say, "okay, i'm scared, but i'm here for the entire ride. let's go! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Unknown said...

Beautiful babies!
And yes, sometimes I do like to stick to what is safe...although, I hope that overall I am up for the climb and all that He has for me!

Great post, Alicia and beautiful pictures!!